Thursday, May 17, 2018

Card Captain day 4: Turtle


Welcome for day 4 of me being the card captain for
the Enjoy Michael Strong Stampgroup.
On Thursday we always share a technique.
This is no special technique, but I want to
show you how I build this background panel.

This is what I used:
turtle stamps by Michael Strong
sentiment from stash (not sure of brand)
stencil
various colors distress oxide inks
gesso
acrylic distress paint
distress crayons
distress spray
black versafine stamping pad

First I cut a white piece of cardstock 4x5 inch.
Next I took this sea bubble stencil from my stash 
and randomly added the white gesso with a brush.

After taking the stencil of you see the bubbles here and there.
Now leave this to dry of use heat gun.

Next  adding a few drops of light blue acrylic
(distress) paint and smear it out with your fingers
on a few places.

Then i added 2 colors of distress crayons (but I am sure
watercolor crayons or oil pastel crayons also have a 
great effect). Smear it out with your fingers.
Just a few places not all over the card.

Next spray broken china distress spray on the card
and let it dry.

With a paper towel rub over the dots you made 
with the gesso, this way the show more.

Take the stencil again and a darker blue ink
to make some more bubbles.

See here the result of all the layers.

On top of all these layers you stamp the seaweed
that comes with the turtle stamp with black ink.
Now your back panel is finished.

Stamp the turtle with dark green in (forrest moss)
and also use it for coloring the turtle.

For the shield I also used cracked pistachio ink.
Then i cut the turtle with scissors and added a 
few pieces of foam tape to the back.

The sentiment was stamped on a seperate piece of
paper and colored with the same inks and crayons.
Of course I added a little bubbles with the stencil.

In the end iIadded a little blue glitter glue
to the shield of the turtle, but you do not
see that well enough on the picture.

Thank you for looking
and have a creative day!



4 comments:

CraftyJo said...

Lovely card Hetty and thanks for all the detailed instructions for the background - it's fab!

Laura said...

Your turtle card is soooo beautiful! Thanks so much for the detailed tutorial on how you created it! Way cool how you used the fun bubbles stencil with the gesso at the beginning and with the blue ink at the end! Thanks for the tips on using the acrylic paint, distress crayons and how we can substitute if we don't have those! I really appreciate being able to use something on hand!!! Also, thanks for pointing out the glitter glue...did not notice at first, but I can see it in that last photo of yours!! I'm going to try to make this card!!!

Shelly Schmidt said...

Wonderful card Hetty! I love your card : )

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

A GORGEOUS card Hetty, love how you have done the background, ah! one day! I will be able to do similar? So beautiful and a great sentiment too.
Faith
x